A2 Restricted Licence FAQs

An A2 restricted motorcycle licence is a full motorcycle licence which allows you to ride medium motorcycles up to 35 kW (and a power-to-weight ratio not more than 0.2 kW per kg), The motorcycle must not be derived from a vehicle more than twice its power

You have to be aged 19 and over to take the A2 licence course.

The easiest way to book the course is to use one of our bikes as they are fully compliant. If you do want to use your own, please continue reading. 

You must use a motorcycle without a side car that:

  • is at least 395cc
  • has a power output between 25 and 35 kW (33bhp and 46.6 bhp)

There’s no upper engine size limit, but:

  • the power to weight ratio must not exceed 0.2kW/kg
  • it must not be derived from a motorcycle of more than double its power

For the ‘List of motorcycles for practical riding tests’ published by the DVSA, please view the following link

On an A2 licence you can ride medium sized motorcycles up to 46.6 bhp (35 kW) (and a power-to-weight ratio not more than 0.2 kW per kg). The motorcycle must not be derived from a vehicle more than twice its power. A good guide is to be found on the following link http://a2bikes.co.uk/ Please note that we cannot be held responsible for external links.

You need to be in possession of one of the following licences to take part in a full licence course.

  • a full UK car licence
  • a provisional UK car licence with valid provisional motorcycle entitlement (Category A)
  • an EU licence with valid UK counterpart (D91) showing provisional motorcycle entitlement (under additional UK provisional entitlement)

If you have the old-style UK paper driving licence, you will need to bring with you a valid passport as well.

If you do not hold any licence, licence applications forms can be collected from larger Post Offices (form D1) or you can apply online here.

To take your practical tests, you must have a valid motorcycle theory test pass certificate and a valid CBT certificate. If you have not completed CBT, you can do it as part of your course. If you have not passed a motorcycle theory test, further information is available on the theory test page. All documents must be original. We cannot accept scans, photos or photocopies.

DVLA say the following, taken from the following page

If you want to take a British driving / riding test (including CBT) you must be a resident in GB. However, if you have moved to GB having recently been a permanent resident in another state of the EC/EEA, you must be a resident in GB for 185 days in the 12 months before your application for a driving test and full licence.

To take a GB driving / riding test (including CBT) you will need to either:

  • apply for a GB counterpart licence (D91) by completing a D9 enclosing your community driving licence
  • exchange your community licence for the British equivalent and request the appropriate provisional entitlement

A provisional licence document is issued free of charge. However, the appropriate fee must be paid and your community licence surrendered in exchange for a GB one when claiming the full entitlement.

Download ‘Application for a GB counterpart (form D9)’

Whatever the weather, you must wear the correct clothing, as failure to bring the right gear will result in no training. You need to wear a strong jacket, long trousers (jeans are fine), sturdy footwear (strong shoes or boots) and gloves. Waterproof clothing is strongly recommended as well if it looks like it might rain, as your course will continue whether it rains or not. From 1st July 2011, the DVSA now insist that you are suitably attired for your test, as it will not go ahead if you are not.

If you normally wear glasses or contact lenses, you will need to bring them, as you will need to be able to read a registration plate at a minimum distance of 66 feet (20 metres).

If you have booked to use one of our motorcycles then we will supply you with a motorcycle safety helmet.

You will need to bring with you every day your UK licence and CBT certificate (once gained). For the practical test days of your course you will need to bring with you your valid motorcycle theory test pass certificate and Module 1 pass certificate once gained as well. If you have the old-style paper licence, you will need to bring with you a valid passport. The documents must be original. Photocopies, scans or photos cannot be accepted.

If you are supplying your own motorcycle, you will need to bring your own helmet, valid motorcycle insurance, valid MOT certificate (if your bike is more than three years old) and your motorcycle will need to be taxed. You will need to have full sized L–plates clearly displayed on your bike both front and rear. Your motorcycle must be in a good roadworthy condition.

Most probably. You can run the majority of your course over weekends, but increasingly the DVSA are only conducting the practical tests during the week. Therefore, your last half-day and your penultimate day will need to be during the week in order to take your practical tests. Occasionally, the DVSA may put on extra programmes of tests on the weekend but these are very rare.

This all depends on what length of course you need and whether you can do your training on weekdays and weekends. It also depends on whether you have passed a motorcycle theory test or not.

Typically, in peak season it can take up to four-weeks (sometimes longer) to get you through everything and in winter time, a lot less. For up-to-date availability, please contact the office.

Our courses are run by some of the most experienced instructors in the industry. They are all approved by the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) and they are used to teaching people of all abilities, from novice riders to very experienced riders.

Everybody since February 2001 has to pass a motorcycle theory test. Even if you have held a full car licence for many years, you will still need to take and pass a motorcycle theory test. The only exceptions to this rule are holders of bike licences who want to upgrade within the same category.

To arrange a theory test, please contact the Driving & Vehicle Standards Agency on 0300 200 11 22 or book online. You will need to have your driving licence number from your licence and a method of payment.

You need to complete two practical tests.

  • Module 1 – Specified Manoeuvres (approx. 22 minutes)
    • At least two manoeuvres carried out at slow speed, including a slalom
    • At least two manoeuvres carried out at higher speed, of which one exercise should be in second or third gear, at a speed of at least 30 km/h (approx. 19 m.p.h) and one exercise avoiding an obstacle at a minimum speed of 50 km/h (approx. 32 m.p.h)
    • At least two braking manoeuvres, including an emergency brake at a minimum speed of 50 km/h (approx. 32 m.p.h).

  • Module 2 – Road Riding Test (approx. 57 minutes)
    • The accompanied riding element of the test. Module 2 of the test will consist of the eyesight test, road safety questions and at least 30 minutes of road riding. The road ride will cover a variety of road and traffic conditions and will also include normal stops, hill and angle starts.

No. Your practical test fees are included in your course price and are arranged as part of your course by us.

For all courses where a practical test is involved, we require three weeks’ notice to change dates or cancel. Failure to attend, lateness, or failure to give sufficient notice will result in the monies being forfeit.

The DVSA stipulate that you have to leave three clear working days before you can take another one. You cannot go on to take a Module Two test without a valid Module One test pass certificate.

If you fail the Module Two test the DVSA say that you have to wait ten clear working days before you can take another one to allow you to have time to do some more training.

Please remember that your Module One test pass certificate is linked to your theory test certificate. If your theory test certificate expires, you will need to sit another theory test and Module One test. You are not allowed to just take another theory test even though your Module One test pass certificate may still be valid.

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to call us on 020 8900 9990 or drop us a quick email.


Permanent link to this article: http://www.elitemotorcycletraining.com/motorcycle-training-courses-london/a2-restricted-licence-course-london/a2-restricted-licence-faqs/