Tel: 020 8900 9990 / 07535 797797

A1 Restricted Licence FAQs

An A1 restricted motorcycle licence is a full motorcycle licence which allows you to ride a maximum of 125cc.

The A1 restricted licence is the only licence option available to those aged 17-18. It is also suitable for those people who do not intend riding anything bigger than a 125cc motorcycle.

You can use one of our motorcycles, or if you are going to use your own, it must be a motorcycle without a side car that must:

  • be at least 120cc and no more than 125cc
  • not have more than 11kw power (14.6bhp)
  • be capable of at least 55mph (90km/h)

The DVSA will accept all ‘learner legal’ machines for test unless there’s clear evidence they don’t meet these rules.

For the ‘List of motorcycles for practical riding tests’ published by the DVSA, please view the following link

You can ride light motorbikes with:

  • an engine size up to 125cc
  • a power output of up to 11kW
  • a power to weight ratio not more than 0.1kW

The A1 licence also includes motor tricycles with power output up to 15kW.

You need to be in possession of one of the following licences to take part in a full licence course.

  • a full UK car licence
  • a provisional UK car licence with valid provisional motorcycle entitlement (Category A)
  • an EU licence with valid UK counterpart (D91) showing provisional motorcycle entitlement (under additional UK provisional entitlement)

If you have the old-style UK paper driving licence, you will need to bring with you a valid passport as well.

If you do not hold any licence, licence applications forms can be collected from larger Post Offices (form D1) or you can apply online here.

To take your practical tests, you must have a valid motorcycle theory test pass certificate and a valid CBT certificate. If you have not completed CBT, you can do it as part of your course. If you have not passed a motorcycle theory test, further information is available on the theory test page. All documents must be original. We cannot accept photocopies

DVLA say the following, taken from the following page

If you want to take a British driving / riding test (including CBT) you must be a resident in GB. However, if you have moved to GB having recently been a permanent resident in another state of the EC/EEA, you must be a resident in GB for 185 days in the 12 months before your application for a driving test and full licence.

To take a GB driving / riding test (including CBT) you will need to either:

  • apply for a GB counterpart licence (D91) by completing a D9 enclosing your community driving licence
  • exchange your community licence for the British equivalent and request the appropriate provisional entitlement

A provisional licence document is issued free of charge. However, the appropriate fee must be paid and your community licence surrendered in exchange for a GB one when claiming the full entitlement.

Download ‘Application for a GB counterpart (form D9)’

Whatever the weather, you must wear the correct clothing, as failure to bring the right gear will result in no training. You need to wear a strong jacket, long trousers (jeans are fine), sturdy footwear (strong shoes or boots) and gloves. Waterproof clothing is strongly recommended as well if it looks like it might rain, as your course will continue whether it rains or not. From 1st July, 2011 the DVSA now insist that you are suitably attired for your test, as it will not go ahead if you are not.

If you normally wear glasses or contact lenses, you will need to bring them, as you will need to be able to read a registration plate at a minimum distance of 66 feet (20 metres).

If you have booked to use one of our motorcycles then we will supply you with a motorcycle safety helmet.

You will need to bring with you every day your UK licence and CBT certificate (once gained). For the practical test days of your course you will need to bring with you your valid motorcycle theory test pass certificate and Module 1 pass certificate once gained as well. If you have the old-style paper licence, you will need to bring with you a valid passport. The documents must be original. Photocopies cannot be accepted.

If you are supplying your own motorcycle, you will need to bring your own helmet, valid motorcycle insurance, valid road tax, valid MOT certificate (if your bike is more than three years old). You will need to have full sized L–plates clearly displayed on your bike both front and rear. Your motorcycle must be in a good roadworthy condition.

You will need have one of your days on a weekday for the Module 2 practical test. The rest of your course can be conducted on weekends. We run training courses seven days a week.

Our pass rate is second to none. Most trainees pass their test first time with us.

This all depends on what length of course you need and whether you can do your training on weekdays, or only at weekends. It also depends on whether you have passed a motorcycle theory test or not.

For example, if you are a novice rider and have not passed a theory test and can only train at weekends (your last day would need to be a weekday), your course can take up to five weeks to complete.

If you are a very experienced rider who holds a valid CBT certificate and has passed a motorcycle theory test already, we may well be able to get you through your test within two weeks. All of our training days are whole days.

Our courses are run by some of the most experienced instructors in the industry. They are all approved by the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) and they are used to teaching people of all abilities, from novice riders to very experienced riders.

Everybody since February 2001 has to pass a motorcycle theory test. Even if you have held a full car licence for many years, you will still need to take and pass a motorcycle theory test.

The only exceptions to this rule are holders of bike licences who want to upgrade within the same category. To arrange a theory test, please visit the theory test page. You will need to have your driving licence number from your licence and a method of payment.

You need to complete two practical tests.

  • Module 1 – Specified Manoeuvres (approx. 22 minutes)
    • At least two manoeuvres carried out at slow speed, including a slalom
    • At least two manoeuvres carried out at higher speed, of which one exercise should be in second or third gear, at a speed of at least 30 km/h (approx. 19 m.p.h) and one exercise avoiding an obstacle at a minimum speed of 50 km/h (approx. 32 m.p.h)
    • At least two braking manoeuvres, including an emergency brake at a minimum speed of 50 km/h (approx. 32 m.p.h).
  • Module 2 – Road Riding Test (approx. 57 minutes)
    • The accompanied riding element of the test, which is quite similar to the existing test. Module 2 of the test will consist of the eyesight test, road safety questions and at least 30 minutes of road riding. The road ride will cover a variety of road and traffic conditions and will also include normal stops, hill and angle starts.

The practical tests

So that you can see what is involved, please see the videos below

Module 1


Module 2 Briefing


Module 2 On-Road Riding


No. Your practical test fees are included in your course price and are arranged as part of your course by us.

For all courses where a practical test is involved, we require three weeks' notice to change dates or cancel. Failure to attend, lateness, or failure to give sufficient notice will result in the monies being forfeit.

The DVSA stipulate that you have to leave three clear working days before you can take another one. You cannot go on to take a Module Two test without a valid Module One test pass certificate.

If you fail the Module Two test the DVSA say that you have to wait ten clear working days before you can take another one to allow you to have time to do some more training.

Please remember that your Module One test pass certificate is linked to your theory test certificate. If your theory test certificate expires, you will need to sit another theory test and Module One test. You are not allowed to just take another theory test even though your Module One test pass certificate may still be valid.

Areas near to us

If you live in the following areas, we are within travelling distance.

Alperton, Barnet, Belgravia, Belsize Park, Bermondsey, Brent, Brent Cross, Brentford, Brondesbury, Brondesbury Park, Bushey, Camden, Chiswick, Colindale, Cricklewood, Crouch End, Dollis Hill, Dulwich, Ealing, Eastcote, East London, Edgware, Elstree, Feltham, Finchley, Friern Barnet, Golders Green, Greenford, Greenhill, Greenwich, Hampstead, Hanwell, Harlesden, Harrow, Harrow On The Hill, Harrow Weald, Hatch End, Hayes, Hendon, Highgate, Hillingdon, Holland Park, Hornsey, Hounslow, Ickenham, Isleworth, Islington, Kensal Green, Kensal Rise, Kensington, Kenton, Kilburn, Kingsbury, Ladbroke Grove, Lambeth, Lewisham, London Bridge, Maida Vale, Marylebone, Mayfair, Mill Hill, Moor Park, Muswell Hill, Neasden, North Harrow, Northolt, North London, North West London, Notting Hill, Oxhey, Paddington, Palmers Green, Perivale, Pinner, Queens Park, Rickmansworth, Roxeth, Ruislip, South Harrow, Southall, Southgate, South London, Southwark, St Johns Wood, Staines, Stanmore, Sudbury, Sudbury Hill, Sudbury Town, Tottenham, Tufnell Park, Uxbridge, Watford, Wealdstone, Wembley, West Ealing, West Harrow, West London, Willesden, Wood Green, Yeading.