Tel: 020 8900 9990 / 07535 797797

Getting Started

Getting started with motorcycling

At first, becoming a motorcyclist can be a bit confusing. This guide below is intended to make it a little clearer in four steps.

This is not intended as an exhaustive guide, more so as a 'quick start' checklist for those new to, or relatively new to motorcycling in the UK. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us on 020 8900 9990.

1. Licence

To be eligible to start training, you must have one of the following licences: a full UK car licence, a provisional UK car licence with valid provisional motorcycle entitlement, or an EU licence with valid UK counterpart (D91) showing provisional motorcycle entitlement (under additional UK provisional entitlement). If you have no licence at all, you will need to collect form D1 from the Post Office and apply for one, or you can apply online. If you have a licence from outside of the UK please visit the following page of the GOV.UK web site.

2. Automatic or manual?

Secondly you need to think about what type of motorcycle you want to ride. Do you want to ride an automatic bike (scooter style) or a manual bike?

Which bike would you like to ride, automatic or manual?

3. Ride as a learner or get a full bike licence?

The third thing you need to think about is whether you want to ride as a learner, or if you want to go off and get a bike licence straight away. If you just want to ride as a learner, then all you need to do is take a Compulsory Basic Training course. CBT allows you to ride up to a 125cc motorcycle (providing your licence allows you to do so) for a period of two years as a learner rider if you are over seventeen years of age, or a 50cc moped at age sixteen.

If you are sure that you want to get a bike licence straight away, then please move onto section 4. If you do decide to just take CBT, please be aware that you will have to take your motorcycle theory test and practical test within two years, or you will have to take another CBT course to carry on riding.

If you are not sure whether you want to go for your bike licence or not, then just start with the CBT as you will be much clearer about your objectives once you have taken this course. If you decide after CBT that you do want to go on and get your licence, just upgrade within two weeks and your overall package price will work out to be the same.

Ideally, you would get your licence as soon as you can because you will be that much safer on the roads. CBT is after all just basic training as its name suggests.

4. Which licence?

The third choice you need to make is about what licence you want to get. There are four different categories of motorcycle licence you can achieve. Before you can go for one of these, you will need to have taken CBT and passed a motorcycle theory test. You can take the CBT as part of an intensive course but you will need to arrange the theory test independently.

Age is a factor as to what options you have and is governed by law. For a DVSA flowchart, please view the following link routes to your licence.